The Patterson Foundation’s resources are focused in the areas of:
- Oral Health
- Animal Health
Within these focus areas, the Foundation provides grants to 501(c)(3) non-profit organizations classified as public charities by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. Grants are made to support communities in the Patterson Companies service area.
The Patterson Foundation supports programs that expand access to restorative and emergency dental care for individuals in need. Priority is given to organizations that are staffed primarily by volunteer dental professionals and/or students. In this focus area, the Foundation supports the following types of requests.
- Funding for state Mission of Mercy (MOM) events that provide free dental care to underserved people across the U.S. Individual grants for MOM events range up to $5,000, depending on several factors in the application including the number of patients to be served and results from prior events. Click here to view our complete funding guidelines for state MOM events.
- Start-up costs or one-time projects that expand an organization’s capacity to serve individuals in need. For example, funding may be used for construction or renovation costs to expand clinic capacity. Per our funding guidelines, grants cannot be used to purchase dental supplies or equipment or for the costs of patient care. In general, individual grant amounts vary up to $35,000, depending on the project goals and scope.
- Operational funding to support volunteer dental professionals and/or students working with the program. In general, individual grant amounts vary up to $10,000, depending on the project details. Grants for salary expenses to employ a dental hygienist or assistant to work directly with volunteer dentists are limited up to $5,000 per organization.
- Strategic grants for programs that impact underserved populations on a large scale. Programs may be national, regional or serve an expanded metro area. In general, individual grant amounts vary up to $60,000, depending on the scale and impact of the program.
In this focus area, the Foundation supports the following types of requests:
- Funding for organizations that provide assistance dogs to veterans and individuals with disabilities. The Foundation awards grants for start-up costs or one-time expenses to help a program expand capacity for years into the future. In general, support is limited to organizations that are members or candidates of Assistance Dogs International (ADI) or the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF). Grant amounts generally vary up to $35,000, depending on the project details.
In general, the Foundation will not consider requests for:
- The types of products sold by Patterson Companies, Inc., including dental or veterinary supplies and equipment (A local branch of a Patterson company may consider donating products.)
- The direct costs of treatment or therapies
- Organizations primarily funded by state or federal governments
- Film/video productions
- Religious programs for religious purposes
- Scientific research
- Fraternal, social, veteran or military organizations
- Conferences/seminars or publications of their proceedings
- Fundraising or athletic events
- Emergency operating support
- Political advocacy, lobbying